Skip to main content

The Transition

I’m writing this blog for the numerous requests I have received as of late from both friends and fans. I’m often asked the same question more or less just in different variations. “How do you come up with what you write?” While a very simple question that I’d love to smirk and reply “It just comes naturally to me,” it tends to be a bit more complicated than that.

In order for me to create, certain conditions must be met and catered or else I just find myself staring at my monitor. First and most important is my setting. Ambience plays a major theme in whether or not I and able to “transcend” over into the world I’m writing in. Confused yet? Allow me to elaborate further. Dim lighting and close quarters are best at starting the process. Large open areas I find overbearing and uncomfortable to write in, but stick me in a closet or small bedroom with the door shut and I’m golden. Next is sound. I CAN NOT WRITE IN NOISY BOISTEROUS SETTINGS! I find it nearly impossible. Sirens (Englewood), people, music, parties….NO THANKS! Silence is a beautiful thing and very much key. So, when all conditions are met, that’s when the transcendence begins. It is as if my soul or spirit leaves and my body and just becomes a vessel or voice for my characters. I am literally witnessing what they are doing and no longer am I in the room or confined structure where I write. I can see them vividly as they live a breath, the story telling itself whilst I, “the spectator” sit and write what I’m seeing. If that sounds odd to you then we’re in the same boat as I don’t understand it myself. Everything changes and I am immersed…lost sometimes even, all concepts of time and the physical world around me vanished. Even stranger, is if I am broken from this spell by an outside distraction. I find myself more often than not nearly jumping out of my pants if someone says something to me or even just calls my name.

So, there you have it, go ahead and ponder it. Better yet, try it yourself and see what happens. I think it may be the same as when people reading a good book, find themselves in what they are reading. This is the “escape” from reality they describe. The escape I so long to provide.

—A.D. SOMMERIO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Should be Nurtured Not Ignored

If this offends you then it very well may be YOU. Too many times I hear “I’m unhappy with everyone and everything around me.” The key words here are “ I’m unhappy .” Far too many times we want to find fault and blame in those we love and others, when we are unhappy with ourselves. You cannot and  will not  be happy with anyone else if you are unhappy in general. We have to detach ourselves as a people from thinking “It’s not me its everyone else.” Mental health is huge for everyone and it doesn’t matter your ethnicity, moral standing or financial status. Depression is real, PTSD is real, anxiety is real. But what makes it a danger is when you fail to see it happening to YOU and refuse to get help. The narcissism kicks in and everything is everyone else’s defunct and you’re perfect. This leads to brash and poor decision making because you believe you can “fix” your unhappiness but directly dealing with others instead of self. As for heads of household, friends, spouses etc. You

I get it 2020 but I'm on to you now and I'm moving forward!

I have come to the realization that 2020 is not going to stop throwing any of us curveballs. That being said, I wanted share this. For a while now, every time there was a tragic event I needed to take a mental break to recoup. I’ve watched cities burn, people dying from Covid-19, myself being stuck in the house almost feeling trapped.     The word “quarantine” becoming so synonymous with our everyday life it was ridiculous. But still it didn’t stop. 2020 refused to let up. Racial injustice, riots, looting and then finally a year of people close to me passing away.    Break 1, break 2, break 3….. and so forth. I found myself literally drowning in what was happening around me and barely living out my own existence and purpose.    So that’s what this is about. FIGHTING! Please, I implore all of you to keep going. Yes, we all need a break but life isn’t letting up. People are going to still pass away when you least expect it. Naysayers are still going to downplay and doubt all you have don

A Coincidence to You Maybe, For Me a Message!!!

The day after Christmas and I’m going through my own version of “therapy”. By therapy I mean playing this extremely time consuming and addictive videogame to numb me and take my mind off of the last week’s events. Now this game and I have a serious history and at one point I was playing it so much I began to neglect my responsibilities as a writer. So much in fact, I sold my PS4 so I would no longer play it. Did that work? Yes, actually it did…until I purchased said game for my daughter for Christmas and now have been playing it on  her  system for the lack of my own. But why the relapse? Well Friday December 20 th  2019 I did something I almost never do. I attended a funeral. Now let me backtrack for those of you that don’t know me very well. I don’t do death. I don’t do wakes and I don’t do funerals. This has caused plenty of controversy for years between both sides of my family and myself. It is in no way meant to be a sign of disrespect. And in the past, before I knew I was an